Friday, July 19, 2013

Over populated....

The problem with breedables is that the grid gets overpopulated with them easily and the market saturated.  A saturated market means less sales because people are getting enough of what they need from their own breedables and don't see the need to buy more.  (And then ones who don't work hard to get through this gripe about not being able to sell enough to pay for food.)

Or people get testy with one another about how little someone is selling their breedable for.  But then, that's normal.  Nothing like feeling frustrated when you have top animal out for 1k and your neighbor is setting the same thing out at 100L.  Got that all the time when I bred Amaretto.

I like how WK is trying to cut this situation back by having classes on how to price your cats.  More breedables should do this...newcomers are not only lost about what to do with their new animals, but on also how to price them.  And often people do not have time to go looking around the markets to see what others are doing.  I used to spend 1-2hours each session on that, and do it for my friends within my breedable circle.

Now I mainly rely on feelings about my animals.   I just don't have time to check these things out, between RL work and running a business.  I did go to the WK class and it helped me a lot, but just haven't had time to go to markets, other than a few times.  Same with Biobreeds.

Keeping my WK breeders down to 10...pretty sure I'll be okay on those.  Kittycats are probably going to mostly stop when the current ones expired.  Sigh...still wish they didn't expire.  So troublesome.

I see big problem with Biobreeds.  Someone does a massive 5L and 10L sale because they just can't unload crates, and people get pissed.  And rightfully so.  I know one is considered an experienced breeder who should have been committed to the market enough to not do that.  That individually would have helped the market more by doing such a deal privately or taking the 5 biochips for the animal.

In my opinion, there is a strong need in our Biobreeds market for a Biochip push.  There are various ways this could be done, and doing more than one at a time is very very good.  It may not actually help the secondary market, but it will encourage people to turn in their excess for biochips and cut down on the population a bit.

Biobreeds should think about:
1- Bring out the Biochip exclusives - I, for one, am getting tired of waiting forever to see these.  It would be a major boost to Biochip efforts for people to see a special coat they can get.
2- Open up more of the "buy with biochips" options. - I'm not privvy to the figures, so can't say if this would help or hurt Biobreeds bottom line to open up the breed packs one can use Biochips for, but I do think it would encourage more heavening.
3- Do a double Biochip day.  I've seen other breedables do this with good results, as far as people going nuts to take advantage of it.

In this way, I think Biobreeds can help those of us trying to keep the secondary market active.  Not only would this encourage more Biochipping of the excess, but also encourage those who want the Biochips to purchase the 50-100L sales from the ones who do not want the Biochips.

I also think they need a marketing person...one who does nothing but get the word out continuously about certain things.  Like the free food.  Many weren't sure it's still going on because it's not announced anymore.  I wasn't.  Not until I suddenly got 200 free portions a few weeks ago...first time for me too.  When I started marketing the rule was that an individual needs to see the same thing 7 times for them to get it...I hear it's more now.

I love my Biobreeds and they're doing well by me, but see the normal problem arising with them.  Getting TOO MUCH.  LOL  Think I'm going to do a major biochip effort soon on the crates, then analyze what I should do on the lives.  I have well priced random vendors out, but people don't seem interested, and the raffle efforts didn't go over so well either.

And it's Second Life.  I've found out that listing your place in search and buying classifieds results in more traffic than sending out the hourly ads.  Well, I found out my classifieds do not show up in many of the viewer's search results.  Did some experimenting when I couldn't figure out why my traffic was down so far.  After a few years of doing such a thing, I know what's normal.  And what I get is way below normal.

Still have the classifieds out there....for whatever good it does me.

1 comment:

  1. Added comment:
    A ranch partner went to check out an ad that must have surely had been a typo - missing a few zeros at the end. It was not! Owner was there and actually selling the BB for prices WAY below their worth.
    I now have to make room for four more, as these cannot be not bred out. Prime babies for sales from these boys!

    This shows how providing training on what are fair prices for breedables can be helpful.

    Glad it was my partner who went...I wouldn't have been able to pay so little for them myself and would have IM'd someone else to come do it. LOLOL

    ReplyDelete